Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Barter Theater...

I recently took my 6 year old to see a production of The Billy Goats Gruff at stage 2 of the Barter Theater, and she absolutely loved it. They have a series of plays for children on Saturday mornings throughout the year for around 10 dollars a ticket, and it is well worth the money. Heck, you will almost spend that on a movie ticket these days and I find that a play is much more memorable.

I have to say that growing up I never fully appreciated having the theater in my hometown. I guess it wasn't the cool thing growing up to attend plays, but I have the feeling that I missed out on some fantastic performances. As it is, the wife and myself have season passes this year. I have already seen performances of Alice in Wonderland and The Diary of Anne Frank. While I have never cared for the story of Alice in Wonderland, as I always assumed it was written in some opium induced state, the cast did a very solid job with it. As far as The Diary of Anne Frank goes, I wasn't very enthusiastic about going to watch a play on the holocaust, but it really turned out to be an inspirational tale on how resilient the human will can be. Similar to watching a movie like Schlindler's list. I probably wouldn't watch it more than once, but I am glad that I got the chance to see it. As for the rest of this season, we already have reservations for productions of Annie, a Sherlock Holmes play and It's a Wonderful Life, as well as plans for a couple of more plays. I invite my friends whom read this blog to come back home for a weekend and attend a play with us. When coupled with dinner at the Tavern or one of Abingdon's other nice restaurants, it turns out to be a pretty good way to spend an evening.

Till next time,

IPod is the same as last time so....

Currently Netflixing

Big Love on HBO


2 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun. Emily and I will have to get up there and see something soon. Funny, how time changes your way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true...I never gave a crap about the Barter when it was in my back yard and now I too regret not taking advantage of seeing more plays. Gotta get up there and check out a play soon.

    ReplyDelete