Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Pileated Woodpecker.....

I awoke this morning to a loud sporadic vibrating sound in the house. At first I thought we were having problems with the plumbing or perhaps our hot water heater was on the fritz, but the more I listened the sound was coming from the outside. When I went out to investigate, a large bird flew out of the corner of the gutter. I then watched this bird fly across the street and land in the neighbors gutter and do the same thing. After a little help from the resident amateur ornithologist I work with, I was informed that the culprit was this guy.



After reading of various ways to dispose of this animal that is attacking my house, I was informed that if a person was to kill said bird, they were subject to a 500 dollar fine. This, my friends, is government bureaucracy at it's finest. The good folks at the Virginia Department of Wildlife and Inland Fisheries left some helpful hints on their website though. Supposedly a stuffed owl or realistic rubber snake can deter the Pileated Woodpecker from it's intended target.

Till next time,

IPod
Artist: Miles Davis
Album: Kind of Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment