Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Adventure Into The World Of Bowling Hierarchy..

As many of you may know, I joined a mens bowling league back in the fall. I actually look forward to meeting with the town drunks from Saltville at our local bar and then taking the party over to the bowling alley. It is a way for me to blow off a little steam near the end of the week and a good form of male bonding. That said, there are several older gentlemen in this league that take it much more seriously than we do. I was informed this past week that elections will take place in a couple of weeks and it reminded me of the first day we signed up for the league.

It all started on a cool Sunday afternoon back in September. I had never been in any sort of organized league in my life before so I didn't really know what to expect. When the 5 of us arrived we were ushered into a smoke filled back room that I had never seen before in the bowling alley. Everyone seemed friendly and were happy to have a new team joining the league. As the meeting started we were informed that the league business was conducted parliamentary style. Everything seemed to be going fine till the topic of handicaps was presented. The next thing I know, this room full of senior citizens erupted into some of the most intense bickering I have been around in my entire life. I seriously thought a couple of guys were going to get into a fist fight. As it turned out the room was about evenly divided on the topic, so our team wound up casting the deciding vote. After the meeting was over everyone seemed to revert back to their pleasant demeanor and we finished the registration process.

The next few weeks we bowled rather badly, like a new team would normally do and because of that wound up with some extremely high handicaps. In the following weeks we improved our game with practice and due to our high handicaps have been crushing the older men in our league. I can now see why they were so passionate about getting that rule changed.

There really is no purpose in this story. I just remembered how upset those guys got last year and am going to be front row center this coming weekend to cast my vote to keep the handicap rule as it is.

Till Next Time,

IPod
Artist : Guster
Album : Keep It Together


2 comments:

  1. Funny shit. Great Guster album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew? I just thought you went there and bowled. I guess you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete